Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson

Default "Dumb" question about machining thin parts

Donnie Barnes wrote:
On Thu, 01 Dec, Jon Elson wrote:

There are a couple ways to attack this. One is to make the stock the
correct
thickness first, then drill a hole in it. Now, grip a bolt in the lathe
chuck
with the threads sticking out. Run a nut on the bolt, the stock with hole,
and finish with another nut. Tighten the nuts together with 2 wrenches.
Now, you can turn the OD as desired. I make a number of odd spacers,
etc. like this.

How do you do this if the hole size doesn't match up with an existing bolt,
though? Assuming you want your hole to be centered in the piece, anyway.

This gets a bit more complicated, but you certainly can do it. One way
is to build a shoulder into the arbor, to support one side of the work.
You turn a smaller diameter out from the shoulder just slightly smaller
than the ID hole in the part. Then you turn down and thread the rest of
the arbor to a convenient thread size. So, one side of the part rests
on the shoulder, the ID is centered by the rod next to the shoulder, and
a nut can be run down to hold the other side of the part. You can also
turn a disc that supports the part almost out to the OD, if it is very
thin and flimsy.

Umm, did I describe this well enough to be understood? I hope so.

Jon