Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

Default flowmeter plumbing - will this work?

On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 10:16:50 -0800, Grant Erwin
wrote:

I get tired of asking these "will this work" questions but where I live I'd have
to drive 40 miles to ask this question of a knowledgeable local source. Anyway,
I have a surplus regulator which I've used for some time on a CO2 tank (plumbed
in via an adapter) but which has a connector which threads correctly to e.g. an
argon tank. It is a pressure regulator, though, not a flowmeter, and I want to
use this in GMAW. So I got an Airco flowmeter, removed it's weird POL-like
connector, bushed down the 1/4NPT to 1/8NPTF and put a 2½" 1/8" nipple, and just
threaded that into the flowmeter:
http://www.tinyisland.com/images/temp/flowmeter.jpg

I have never seen a flowmeter cobbled onto the end of a regulator like this. I'm
almost 100% ignorant in this area. Will this work correctly for me? There are
two knobs, one sets the pressure on the regulator, the other on the flowmeter
must be a needle valve, right? So I'd set the regulator to 30 psi on the gauge
and then adjust the knob on the flowmeter to get my desired cubic feet per hour
of argon?

Grant Erwin
Kirkland, Washington

That's how mine is set up.