Posted to alt.home.repair
nlbauers

Default Redo cottage cheese ceiling?

dumbstruck wrote:
What's the best, idiot-proof way of redoing a cottage cheese ceiling?
Would still like texture since the ceiling and all is an echoey
concrete condo box, but no artistic skills - is there a template
pattern that can be smooshed up there? Some kit from home depot or
other?

I heard the 1970's era cottage may contain asbestos - right? Still I
gather it can be removed DIY with some wetting down and scraping. thx

I took down our cottage cheese ceiling that contained asbestos. In my
area it required a permit and hazardous waste disposal. We had nicely
finished plaster ceilings underneath, so the job was pretty simple.
However, unless you are recovering a good ceiling underneath the
cheese, I would just sheetrock over the top of it. You could spend as
much time repairing the sheetrock and joints after removal as you would
taping and mudding a new ceiling. It is possible that the drywallers
didn't tape and mud the original ceiling in the first place, meaning
you will spend more time removing the ceiling than you would installing
new over the top.

Get the ceiling tested for asbestos, it's a lot easier and less
expensive to remove if there is no asbestos, even if you DIY. You
won't need HEPA filter masks or pay for hazardous waste disposal if it
turns out to have no asbestos.