Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.building.construction
Phil Scott

Default Why is the installation the most important part of choosing a furnace?

"Harry Muscle" wrote in message
oups.com...
I've been doing some research in preparation for next year
when I will
be replacing my gas furnace and a lot of people seem to
mention that
the make of the furnace doesn't matter as much as the
quality of the
installation ... but what exactly does that mean?

Both matter ... if the install is bad though the brand of
furnace wont matter. So install quality is first. also a
good installer will not be selling junk.

The furnance comes preassembled from the factory more or
less so it's
not like the contractor is building the thing. How can a
poor
installation ruin a good furnace?

Too small or leaky air ducts.. leaks will cost you a fortune,
too small will not provide sufficient heat to rooms farthest
from the furnace..and if you want to add cooling later small
ducts will be a problem.

What makes it a poor installation?
Are we talking about the preparation part of the
installation, like
getting the correct size (BTUs), proper chimney size,
correct vent
sizes, etc. ... or are those persons refering specifically
to the
installation part ... what can go wrong during that part?

Bad venting can fill the house with carbon monoxide.. thats
fatal, the wrong vent pipe material can cause a fire.

Improperly secured and sealed duct can come apart later.

Phil Scott
HVAC contractor/ mech engr since 1741

Thanks,
Harry

P.S. The more technical the information you provide the
better ...
thanks.