Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JM

Default More tinkering with sick LCD

Just wanted to follow up on my post about the LG 566LM lcd screen I asked
about a few weeks ago. Long story short, it suddenly started working on me
one day after a few hour long visits to the freezer, but would gradually
degrade as it was left powered up.

I bought some freeze spray and was able to narrow the location of the
temperature sensitive part to one region of the board. By freezing the end
of a Q-tip and probing in that area, found a single SMD cap that, when
frozen, brought back a nice clean picture. The cap was between pin 5 on an
AIC1341 chip and ground, so I removed it and installed a regular old cap of
the same value directly between that pin and a nearby ground. Works great
now!