Posted to rec.woodworking
DonkeyHody

Default Glueing up a chair

Bob S wrote:
Obviously your chairs must have had good tight fitting joints if they have
not failed in 5 years. Do an experiment and drill a hole in some wood and
then sand down a piece of dowel so it's undersized and has a gap all around
when placed in the hole. Mist the wood, apply the poly and clamp. Now do
the same again but be sure the dowel is a snug fit in the hole. Make the
dowels long enough so you can get your hand on them to wiggle and pull them
and break the joint. Which one do you think will fail first? Do a 3rd
hole, undersize the dowel again and use epoxy this time (even the 5 min
variety will work for this experiment).

Bob, I'll agree that epoxy is stronger and fills gaps better. But
epoxy is a pain to use and I think poly is strong enough for the
application. You are certainly free to disagree, just don't try to
make me look like a fool for suggesting it.

DonkeyHody
"We should be careful to get out of an experience only the wisdom
that is in it - and stop there; lest we be like the cat that sits down
on a hot stove-lid. She will never sit down on a hot stove-lid
again---and that is well; but also she will never sit down on a cold
one anymore." - Mark Twain