Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike O.

Default trimming masonite doors questions

On Thu, 1 Dec 2005 15:18:23 -0500, "bent" wrote:

I am asking what does look right. I am cutting a total of

2-1/4" (bifold)

2-13/16"

3-3/8"

6-1/2"

from the total heights

IF I DID cut from the same ends only (all top or all bottom) I think it
would look weird.
However I also think it would look weird if I choose to cut from both ends
to cut too much off the top panels,. WHAT TO DO? I need an equation.

Since having to cut 3'-6" off a door is not a very common thing to do,
I'd say there is no set rule. You're just gonna have to decide and
go for it.

Both the 78" bi-fold and 78" doors have similar top (3-11/16", 3-11/16"),
middle(messy notes, both around 4-1/4"), and lower (5-13/16" bi, 6-7/8")
horizontal panels, and the sides are ~4-1/2". The bi-fold is 77" high

Remember, if these go into existing openings and you want the strike
plate to remain in the same place, you may or may not be able to keep
the door knob bore (assuming the doors aren't bored already) in the
center rail of the door. That will just depend on how you cut them.

If it were me, I'd cut the first two smaller amounts all from the
bottom. That should leave the top and bottom rail about the same
width so I don't think that would look too bad. The other two I'd
probaby have to take of each end. On the 6-1/2" cut you're going to
run out of rail at the bottom.

btw I know each panel of a 24" bi-fold is 11-3/4", but its plastic wrapped,
so I don't know what the center (hinge) gap adds to the total width.

The bifold should fit into an opening the proper size of the
bifold(s). If you are using a 4/0 bifold it should fit into a 4' wide
finished opening.

Mike O.