Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Having stove in the basement to heat whole house...

Agreed - pellet prices are up this year, and availability in the Northeast
is very spotty. The pellets I'm getting now come from British Columbia, so
the freight has driven the price up about $50/ton over last year. I like
the pellets, though. They're burning clean and hot.

We heated this house from the basement for years with cordwood, then for
more years with a simple pellet burner. There's one small grate in the
kitchen floor, and otherwise we leave the door to the basement open. The
floor plan helps, as does the fact that the only opening to the outdoors
from the basement is a well insulated hatch - no windows. The house is also
insulated for baseboard electric heat, so it's quite tight. Our floors are
all either tile or hardwood on the first floor, and it's nice when they are
warm. The kids' bedrooms were upstairs, and they could always close the
door if they got too warm.

"m Ransley" wrote in message
A few thoughts, some prices people pay for hydro is maybe as cheapr as
pellet, figure costs by btu, burning continously leads to soot inside.
Pellet is made, as electric oil go up so will pellet