Posted to alt.home.repair
Sacramento Dave

Default backerboard over leveling compound

"mew" wrote in message
ups.com...
I am remodeling a half bath and have a problem that the floor has a
hump in it. The room is 63" x 72" with the high spot near the center
and a 1/8 to 1/4 inch drop nearly all the way around the walls. I have
sanded the hump down to this level (it was higher) and do not want to
thin the plywood more. I have read the threads on self leveling
compounds and durarock like applications but my question is can you use
durarock over the self leveling compound. When I drive the screws
through the durarock through the compound into the subfloor will it
mushroom the compound underneath such that you have stress
concentrations and thus cracks in the future. I want to put tile over
this. Any help or suggestions would be welcome.

You have to thinset the backerboard ( durock) to the floor.( plywood
subfloor) I use a 3/8" by 3/8" trowel. I do not use screws I use 1 1/4"
roofing nails the thinset will hold it down. You can also use the thinset to
level the floor While installing the tiles