Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

Default Outdoor basketball hoop question

On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 12:23:54 -0500, Steve K wrote:

I bought my young son an outdoor basketball hoop, the kind where you
fill the base with water.

Well, winter is coming and my gut feeling tells me to empty the water so
it doesn't freeze and expand, possibly breaking the plastic base.
Without water in it, the stake that holds it to the ground just doesn't
seem good enough to keep it from falling over and seriously hurting
someone. I really have no where to lay it down. I'd rather it stay where
it is. I don't really want to put sand in it.

Any thoughts? Is it okay to just leave the water in it during winter?

Fill it with 65%/35% ethylene glycol antifreeze/water. or
pure propylene glycol with no water.
If it freezes then, you've got bigger problems than a busted
basketball hoop.

--Goedjn