Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank Ketchum

Default My first attempt in 3phase with a VFD

"Rick Cox" wrote in message
m...

I saw a "Hint" in the manual that you might want to set the Maximum
Frequency for an older non VFD designed "General Purpose" motor to max out
at 80hz. Has anyone done this?

I know that you don't want to exceed the nameplate frequency on the motor
unless it is specifically rated for use with a VFD. Not all 3 phase motors
are. If 60 hz gives you an adequate speed from the motor, I would set the
max to 60. There is no need to set it higher than you will be using it.

To start out, I plan on using the 0-60hz and control the vfd from its own
control panel, how ever, i would like eventually use a remote
potentiometer and run stop switch.

If any one has any additional tips I would appreciate it.

Try to figure out what the inrush of the drive itself is on powerup. Some
drives have a very high inrush current and you may need a larger circuit
breaker and wiring to supply it than you think. This effect is more
prevalent if you power the drive with residential, 'dual phase' power rather
than 3 phase power.

Frank