Posted to rec.woodworking
Charles Self

Default Suitable wood

wrote in message
ups.com...
Folks,

I am pretty clueless in this area, and this is likely going to be an
easy question.....

I have a question regarding which wood to select. I have a bedframe
that broke. There is a peice of wood that needs replacing. Time to
get out the saw, drill, Gorilla glue and have some fun. The peice of
wood is only about 1" x 3" x 4" and is load bearing.

I tried hemlock (on that advice of a sales 'droid at home depot), but
it splits every time I sink a wood screw into it.

So can someone suggest a good solid peice of commercially availble wood
that can take a handful of wood screws through it, and is very strong.

BTW. This peice of wood is not really visible so looks is not
critical.

What kind of load is it bearing? If hemlock would do when it doesn't split,
it can't be all that much.

Find some white oak, beech, poplar, soft maple, almost any hardwood. Drill
pilot holes nearly the same diameter as the screw shank. Use only TWO screws
for a piece that size. Wax the screw threads (paste floor wax). Store the
Gorilla Glue and grab some basic woodworker's PVA yellow glue.