Posted to rec.woodworking
Rick Cox

Default My first attempt in 3phase with a VFD

I hope to bring and old Rockwell lathe back to life this weekend.
The lathe is a Rockwell Delta 46-450 1HP 3phase monster with the Reeves
speed control on it.
I would really like to restore this lathe, but I want to see it run before I
spend to much time or money on it.

After some research (love that OWWM) I decided to try the VFD route instead
of replacing the motor.
I got a used Toshiba VFD on ebay for $80.00 and a great manual with wiring
diagrams. I have read that the reeves gear on that lathe works pretty well,
so I may only use the vfd as an inverter, but I really am intrested in the
flexibility.

I also learned that the larger Jet, Delta, Performax lathes use the VFDs
with 3 phase motors. My father has the JET 1642 and I noticed that it also
has a brake resistor. Would this be a good thing to get before I try the
VFD, or is it all that necessary?

I saw a "Hint" in the manual that you might want to set the Maximum
Frequency for an older non VFD designed "General Purpose" motor to max out
at 80hz. Has anyone done this?

To start out, I plan on using the 0-60hz and control the vfd from its own
control panel, how ever, i would like eventually use a remote potentiometer
and run stop switch.

If any one has any additional tips I would appreciate it.

If everything goes ok I will have a great heavy lathe,
If not....I have to get rid of a heavy lathe.....

Have a good day
Rick