Posted to rec.woodworking

Default How to undo a Titebond III joint.

jtpr wrote:
OK, first the good news. I put the box up on some 2x4 pieces around the
edge, couple of knocks with a piece of wood and a hammer and the bottom
popped out. Bad news is; I'm not overly impressed with the adhesive
properties of TB III.

I don't know all of the details of the construction of the box, but
from your description it sounds like you had all your long grain glued
to end grain.

Without anyother mechanical joinery, the hammer technique sounds to me
like it would likely work every time.

The general rule with glue is that long grain to long grain is nearly
bulletproof, long grain to end grain usually needs "assisting joinery"
techniques if the joint will be sujbect to stesses, and end grain to
end grain absolely requires it regardless.

Of course, none of this may apply to your piece at all, in which case
feel free to tell me to go to hell...