Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank Boettcher

Default How to undo a Titebond III joint.

On 1 Dec 2005 05:48:31 -0800, "jtpr" wrote:

OK, first the good news. I put the box up on some 2x4 pieces around the
edge, couple of knocks with a piece of wood and a hammer and the bottom
popped out. Bad news is; I'm not overly impressed with the adhesive
properties of TB III.

Anyway, I am all ears as to what you folks feel would be a better
adhesive to us in this kind of construction. I don't really know what
"hide glue" or a "thermostatic gluepot" is. Do you have brand names
for this stuff that I could find in the states?

Thanks for all the advice, still good knowledge to have.

-Jim

Hide glue can be obtained in small quantities from a number of Lutier
(repairer of wooden stringed instruments) supply houses or large music
stores. I ordered some Bjorn industries #315 (gram or gel strength)
hide glue from vitali imports (web search will get you there).
However do some research on one of the violin or stringed instrument
forums to see if it is worth it for you to fool with it. Has to be
mixed, heated and used at a specific temp range (therefore the
thermostatic gluepot, however a rigged double boiler and candy
thermometer will get you by a small project). The benefit is
reversibility at any future time, great strength and a cosmetically
friendly glue line. If you don't think you need the reversibility
(your current issue aside) you may not want to go through all that.

Frank