Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ducque

Default "Dumb" question about machining thin parts

Since I'm completely self-taught at machining, there are necessarily
big "holes" in my knowledge. Here's one, and I'd like to "fill the
hole"! :-)

I don't know how to accurately make a very thin part -- for example,
something akin to a washer, or a very short bushing.

It's easy enough to accurately turn the part, make necessary shoulders,
etc. But what about after the piece is "parted off"? The desired part
will be too thin to hold effectively in a vise to mill to its final
thickness (imagine needing a part less than 0.050 thick, for example).

For example, using my milling vise and parallels, I cannot effectively
grip and strongly hold anything less than about 0.065 thick.

What do people do in these situations? Thanks.