Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Terry Keeley

Default Clausing spindle bearings-help!

..
Just out of curiosity, were the originals bb or ff? My first take on
it would be to replicate the original setup.

Thanks for the help but someone installed regular standard ball bearings so
I don't have any history to go by.

I can order bearings that are ground and sold as a matching set in either

"b
to b" or "f to f" that when mounted together and the retaining nut

tightened
give a "light preload".

I can also order bearings that are not matched but are for "universal
pairing" that are about half the cost and are made to mount either way.
Some posts on the Yahoo Group mention that to apply a preload to these
bearings a shim is needed between them either on the inner or outer race,
others say none is needed. If the bearings are made to mount either way

how
can they be preloaded without the use of a shim? If needed how thick

should
it be?

If you do this without any shims the bearings will have way too much
clearance I suspect. What bridgeport used to do was to grind the face
of the bearing race to set this, rather than use shims, on the M heads.

My first take would be to order the same type (bb or ff) as the original
bearings, and purchase them as a true angular contact pair.

Jim

Think this might be the way to go also but most don't seem to go this
route...

please reply to: