Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.survivalism,alt.politics
F. George McDuffee

Default OT - Betting On Social Security?

When calculating the return on a social security "investment"
many people forget to include the value of the disability and
survivors insurance.

When the premiums for these, although the "face amounts" of the
"policies" are low, are included, the SS yield is not that bad,
the fund value does not vary with the "phase of the mooon," and
it is proof against theft by an individual.

Uncle George

On 1 Dec 2005 09:12:39 -0800, "rick++"
wrote:

When you become a "near retiree", i.e. see lots of friends laid off in
their due to the churning of the US economy, that "small" social
security check starts looking good. I'm assuming a 6% investment
return in my geezer years. That $1000 / month then means $200,000
less to save.

All these silly people worrying that it will be gone. The geezers are
the
most prolific voters. SS will be the LAST item to be cut in a fiscal
crunch.
Not to say they may slow down the increase formulas. Currently
SS *initial* payouts are based on national incomes which grows almost
twice as fast as inflation.