Posted to alt.home.repair
Dick

Default GFCI Question?

Thanks for your reply Toller. The box is plastic but the outlet (to which
the switch & the diposer are connected) is grounded & downstream of a GFI
protected outlet in the circuit.
"Toller" wrote in message

"Dick" wrote in message
I am having a new kitchen installed & doing some of the (less complicated)
electrical work myself. (ie changing plugs & switches, installing GFI's,
etc) Let me take a moment to explain the setup:
Our old garbage disposer was set up on it's own, non GFI protected 15 amp
circuit with the switch under the sink. I figured it was safer to connect
it up to the 20amp (GFI protected) circuit around the sink & I also
wanted to connect it to a new wall switch in the wall for convenience.
( I realize that, since the disposer now shares one of the kitchen
circuits, that I'll have to make sure that circuit isnt overloaded b4 I
run the disposer...but that shouldn't be a problem.) The outlet that the
disposer now is powered by is downstream of the GFCI box in the circuit &
the new disposer switch is in the same box as this outlet.
My question is this: The switch is a normal single pole switch with a
ground.......Do I need to connect the switch's ground terminal to a
ground in order for it (the switch & the disposer) to be protected by the
GFCI? (the outlet that it is connected to is properly grounded) There are
so many wires crammed into the box that I'm just trying to save myself
some work....If it will still be safe.
Thanks

Well if you are using a metal box and a good quality switch, the switch is
grounded through the box already; assuming you grounded the box(!).
Though even if you didn't, the box would sorta be grounded by the outlet.

If your box has too many wires in it to ground the switch, then your box
is too small. But if the switch follows the GFCI there shouldn't be any
shock hazzard if the GFCI is working. Since it might not be working, I
would want the switch grounded, especially in a potentially wet condition.

Have I waffled enough for you.