Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.components,comp.sys.laptops,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Al

Default What is this laptop motherboard component?

In article ,
"Woody" wrote:

http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/slvs247/slvs247.pdf
"gk" wrote in message
ups.com...
This is my first time posting, so I apologize ahead of time for any
breach in netiquette.

Can anyone please help me find out what this component is? It shorted
out (water spill) on a Dell Inspiron 5100 laptop motherboard. It is an
8-pin package and the markings a

2042A
36T
DCFR

Picture he
http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/3850/2042a3ku.jpg

Picture cleaned up:
http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/7...2aclean7cz.jpg

Any ideas on where to find a replacement for the component?

Thanks,
gk

I'm afraid you are cooked! It looks like the pad for the part is gone
also. If there was an electrical short afterwards which fused the
metallization, it may have caused damage to the metallization runs
underneath. At any rate, it may be impossible to make connection to that
one pin unless you know exactly where it goes and can put in a jumper.

Al