Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy Dingley

Default How to undo a Titebond III joint.

On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 11:00:15 GMT, "Charles Self"
wrote:

Good. One question that comes to my mind every time someone needs to make
changes in a project glued up with TB II or III or polyurethane is why they
build a project intended for total indoor use with waterproof, nearly
solvent proof, adhesive?

It's what they're sold.

Just curious. Did TB I quit working a couple years ago?

Here in the UK they seem to have stopped selling it. Last few times I've
tried to buy some, I've been fobbed off with the later versions rather
than the original. As it's a rare glue round here anyway (Brits normally
use white PVA) I gues this is a stockholding question.

I also seem to recall hearing that all the great
instrument builders--Amati, Strad, et al--were stuck with using hide glue,

I still use hide glue for almost all my furniture work. With a
thermostatic gluepot it's easy to use and it's still one of the best
gluing choices around.