Posted to rec.woodworking
Charles Self

Default How to undo a Titebond III joint.

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On 30 Nov 2005 09:20:22 -0800, "jtpr" wrote:

Any ideas on getting the piece of poplar out without ruining the bird's
eye?

Heat gun, be quick about it. If it's within the first day, the stuff
comes apart pretty easily.

Good. One question that comes to my mind every time someone needs to make
changes in a project glued up with TB II or III or polyurethane is why they
build a project intended for total indoor use with waterproof, nearly
solvent proof, adhesive?

Just curious. Did TB I quit working a couple years ago? A bit of steam and
that allows joint changes. I also seem to recall hearing that all the great
instrument builders--Amati, Strad, et al--were stuck with using hide glue,
which is readily reversible, and apparently also gives the best sound (can't
tell by my ears, with 50% of my hearing gone).

I know none of that is much help in retrospect, but it seems like something
others might want to think of when assembling most furniture and musical
instruments...and most toys for that matter.