Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike O.

Default trimming masonite doors questions

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 23:34:39 -0500, "bent" wrote:

The doors at HD here are beveled both sides with the lines converging. The
swaged hinges (Stanley) are not quite parallel, which I guess indicates a
generous gap on the hinge side. Does this indicate I should trim this edge
with a right angle, or possibly with the reverse bevel (does this make a
difference)? -

If the door is already beveled I'd use them that way. You may end up
with a little more gap at the jamb because of the swaged hinge but it
shouldn't be too much.

I hate to say I forgot to measure the width of the nominal
30" wide door, and can't comment yet. And what about the HD panel saw and
trimming methods I suggested?

IMO you can trim a masonite door with about anything. You won't get
splintering because the face is not a veneer skin. Plus, the doors
will paint later anyway.

In order to get these 4 doors, which are within 20 feet of one another, to
look right, I think the answer I'm looking for is to draw an imaginary line
through the center of the strike/position on the center panel, say 37-1/2"
from the floor, and trim the tops AND bottoms accordingly: Y or N?

If that's looks better to you, go for it.
If you have to cut more than a couple of inches you will lower the
knob too much (assuming you cut the bottom) and I do think you want
that knob in the middle cross buck no matter what.

Mike O.