Posted to rec.woodworking
W Canaday

Default T5 vs. T8 fluorescent lights

On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 19:56:14 +0000, Lew Hodgett wrote:

7' mtg ht makes getting a good lighting job tougher than 8', but it can be
done.

Use single tube fixtures and keep rows of fixtures no more thyan 48"
apart.

Good luck.

Lew

I took a closer look, got measurements and dirtied a piece of graph paper.
I have 372 sq ft on a 12 x 31 rectangle. That argues for 10 x 40w tubes.
After considering the effect of 80x (2x40w) directly over my lathe, I
don't think that 400w is going to cut it. I decided to put a row of single
tubes 2' away from each wall and end with a row down the middle
(lengthwise) offset by 2' to balance things out. The rows
are designed to be no more than 48" apart, although a couple of
obstructions (plumbing) will cause this to vary somewhat. This will yield
15 tubes for a total of 600w general lighting. There will be additional
point-of-use task lighting at the bandsaw, lathe and drill press.
Possibly also at the table saw over the router table wing.

All lamps are "daylight" spectrum, 6500k, 2325 lumens.

I'm tired of squinting in the dungeon.

Bill