Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Young

Default DIY tensile strength tester?

Go to mhforce.com (Morehouse) and look under "Universal Calibrating
Machines". Your ram goes on top. Pressure is where the blue object is, or
tension is in the bottom space.
Don Young
"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message
I have got to test a number of ropes, chain and fittings for ultimate
breaking load. All of the items are rated under about 15,000 pounds and I
am not worried about the strain curve. Just ultimate load. Way to many
tests to beg time on the local engineering school equipment.

I have a 10 ton dynamometer and a hydraulic cylinder capable of giving me
the throw and force in the push direction but not in pull. I am having
trouble coming up with a design that will work without putting a side load
on the cylinder rod.

Anyone have any ideas?

--
Glenn Ashmore