Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

Default Ceramic tiles changing color-Norminn

On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 02:59:22 GMT, "Kim"
wrote:

Norminn,

The tiles that have changed so far are the bottom row of tiles, closest to
the floor of the shower. I hope that is clear enough.

Well, no. Does it go all around all 3 sides? Or is it higher in some
columns than in others? Where in relation to the shower nozzle did
it first appear? In relation to the door?

This is a mystery. All clues are needed.

Well, I tried the razor and got nothing.

You said you scratched a clean tile. Does that mean you used the
razor as a knife. I think the suggestor meant for you to use it as
a scraper.

I was going to ask if the tile seemed as smooth as the good tiles. If
not, it's probably dirt. Nothing you've mentioned or that occurs
naturally could damage the surface, afaik. If it is as smooth as the
good tiles, it could be a different kind of "dirt" that is smooth, or
maybe something is changing t he color.

Have you tried Bon Ami cleanser? I don't think you listed it.
"Hasn't scratched yet." Every household should have a container of
it.

As far as the 3m pad, please do tell exactly what pad is this, since there
are many, I don't know which one you tried. I would love for it not to be a
water problem and just a tough stain, but I have kept a clean house for so
long, and have tried so many things since this began, it is highly unlikely,
but I would try it to make sure if I was certain of the 3m pad you used, and
getting Fantastic is obviously no problem.

It seems you are also referring to the grout. I am not referring to the
grout, which is fine. I am referring to the tile only. None of the tiles
on the floor of the shower have changed (yet) just the bottom row on the
wall.

The builder left extra tiles, I will look at them to see what info I can get
on them, and also on any info on tile changing color.

I am still leaning towards water damage, but thank you for your suggestions,
as if they are in fact the case would be much easier to deal with.

God bless,
Kim

"Norminn" wrote in message
hlink.net...
KJ wrote:
Hello all,

I have a house, built less than 2 years ago. The tiles in the shower
have started to change color. First one, then another and on it goes.
Right now, it is the bottom row that is changing but since it is
spreading I am concerned. The builder had no answer for me on this.

Any suggestions?

It's a little hard to envision the pattern of discoloration .. lower part
of wall opposite the shower head? Floor? There could be haze from the
grout, or sealer, that is discoloring. Got hard water? Tried a lime
remover to see if it is lime deposits? Did builder leave extra tiles? If
there is a spare, you might get the mfg. name from it. I would try a tile
store - not the home supermarket - to see if there is a cleaner that will
remove old haze/sealer.

I can't imagine a tile discoloring from behind, but don't know everything
) Some glazes have metals in them that could react with other chemicals,
but that is too scientific for me.

I replaced the grout in our shower a while back, and scrubbed like mad to
prep for it. There was grayish discoloration on floor in center that I
really scrubbed, but didn't remove. Finally got a 3M pad and Fantastic
and gave it another go - finally got it all off. Just plain,
old-fashioned dirt from standing in the same spot. There was also a good
deal of soap scum that I didn't get the first time - mainly below the soap
dish, and not very evident due to color/pattern of tile. Finally got the
razor scraper and took off ton of soap scum.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.