Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Water heater wiring for generator hookup and to 120 VAC power?

Toller,

Thanks for your thoughtful reply.

I meant CO detector, but couldn't be give thethe benfit of the doubt.

If you lived therough Francism Jeanne, and wilma, you would understand
what we are attempting to accomplish in SE FL.

I want the quickest, , quietest, cheapest, longest running, genrator
hookup for standy for minimum power and which requires minimum effort
to get running.

First the generator garage issue: My welds are strong enough to trust
my life on when I ride my recumbent trikes and other vehicles that I
have built over the years. Also, my $100 elevator in daily use for
over 3 years was also condemned by the usual Google lurkers who never
seem to trust their own abilities to build anything that their life
would depend upon. What happened to the pioneer spirit? "Leave it to
the professionals" is their motto. True in many cases but not in all
cases. Why have a Forum on Home repair? Just use the Yellow pages and
hire a pro.

There are 2 closed interior doors separating the garage from the
house. The Garage door will be partially open for ventillation and
for oxygen for the generator.

The genertator is a 3000-3500 watt 6.5 hp model. Modest output,
enough for a refridge and a few lights etc.

Complication is not the case. Just the opposite. A short 3 wire cable
from the generator to a junction box and 2 switches.

Throw one switch for generator power to the entire house.

Throw the other switch for 120 VAC hot water.

What could be simpler with fewer wires or switches?

The 4th crooked lead in the generator receptacle does not measure
'short' to the generator case not to any other terminal.