Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Having stove in the basement to heat whole house...

Hi Guys...

I am looking to have a pellet/woodstove installed to curve the costs of
increasing "hydro"/electricity prices.

My original idea was to have it in the living area but due to the
layout of the house I don't have alot of options where to put the
stove.

The safest place was to put it in the mudroom which is roughly 6'X15'.

The ideal place would be to have it facing the kitchen so it could blow
the heat into the house.

My problem, there's a window there and due to clearance distances the
stove would take too much space for anybody to walk in there...

So I am pretty much limited to have it in the basement...

The basement is not finished.
32X14 of the walls are concrete and 32X14 is half concrete and half
wood(thus insulated with vapor barrier)

The concrete wall is underground while the wood one isnt.

My square area is roughly 1280sq feet.

If putting a stove in the basement, and making some vents in the floor
to allow the heat to go upstairs, would it require a significant amount
of heat (pellet consumption) than having it upstairs?? What kind of
figures would it be?

I do plan on insulation the whole basement, I just dont know when it
will happen.

Thanks for all the help you can provide to help me reduce my energy
costs.