Posted to rec.woodworking
Rob V

Default Corrugated v smooth wall piping for DC

I just did my shop w/ 6" PVC runs every where to just about every machine.
This replaced my 4 & 5" spiral pipe.

There is no difference - the PVC is just better all around.
Also - if your going to do it - spend the extra few bux and go 6" - it will
make a world of difference.

"W Canaday" wrote in message
news
Okay ... folks had me just about convinced to buy 4" pvc piping for the
major portion of my DC waste runs and then I read a posting that said, in
essence "Nope ... you NEED the turbulance in a corrugated pipe to keep the
dust & chips in suspension."

So what's the real skinny on this? (I was at the orange box today pricing
PVC stuff out ... even with pricier fittings, it is roughly
comparable in cost to the Woodcraft / Rockler solutions. I especially
liked the long curve Y pipes because of their very gradual entry to the
straight pipe).

What I am presently envisioning is to use PVC up to the point where a
piece of corrugated needs to be attached ... using corrugated only for the
final few feet.

What say you? The layout of my shop will probably be pretty static (things
will probably remain near their present location but move a little from
time to time to accomodate larger stock / larger projects.) so the
permanence of PVC is not a huge concern. I can locate all of my equipment
around / near an outside wall so I don't plan on lofting the dust overhead
until it actually hits the dust bag. The pipe can ride the floor and
eventually be covered with shelving, cabinets and benches.

I am thinking that, with fairly short runs (max 30 ft), there probably
isn't any effective difference. But that is a wild, wild guess.

Again ... what say you?

Bill