Posted to rec.woodworking
Robert Haar

Default Another shop comfort: Sound

On 2005/11/30 8:39 AM, "Saville" wrote:

Robatoy wrote:

We have talked heating, lighting, storage, flooring for shops, and now I
would like some input for a durable boombox-type solution.
What are you guys using?

Speaking strictly for myself, if I put a system in the shop where I had
concerned myself with "image spread" I'd be listening to music into which I
was too involved.

That has happened to me a few times when I had a cassette player in the shop
- got so jazzed by the music I was playing that I lost my concentration and
screwed up.

Yes, the music should be 'background" without being distracting. It is too
easy to screw up a project or have an accident when not paying full
attention.

That said, I listen to classic rock as background. Part of the reason to
escape to the workshop is so that I can listen to my music without my wife
complaining.

I use iTunes as my music source, running on a computer in the next room with
speaker wires passing through the wall and some indoor/outdoor speakers that
seem less bothered by saw dust. I have about 300 CDs ripped into my library
so I put iTunes on a random shuffle most of the time and let it do it's
thing.