Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy

Default Another shop comfort: Sound

In article ,
Larry Blanchard wrote:

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 05:25:30 -0500, Robatoy wrote:

We have talked heating, lighting, storage, flooring for shops, and now I
would like some input for a durable boombox-type solution. What are you
guys using?

I can always tell when people are yonger than me by their atitude towards
silence :-).

One of the nicest things about hand tools in the workshop is their low or
non-existent sound levels.

P.S. I love to listen to music, assuming that it fits my
musical preferences. But when I'm working with tools that can hurt me, I
don't want to be distracted by music - I want my attenion where it belongs.

I appreciate your response. I'm a bit surprised that it wasn't mentioned
earlier because it is a legitimate viewpoint. Distraction of any kind
can be dangerous. For instance, when I do a full 1-1/2" bullnose (That
bit is 'captive'..i.e. no wiggle room) around an island top for
somebody, I concentrate to the point where I will lock the shop-door
before I start, lest I be startled by somebody's arrival. I'm pretty
diligent when it comes to safety. I will NEVER play air guitar with a
router in my hands..but I have been known to do that with a sander.

My silent pieces come in big chunks in the summer at the shore of the
Bay Of Fundy. 3 days to de-compress before opening that first Keith's
beer of the season (I do not consume any alcohol during the rest of the
year) and no sounds other than the diesel of a fisherman setting out his
lobster traps, a bit of surf, and the fluffing up of the duvet because
it's bed-time.