Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
DanG

Default What is it? XC

I wonder about meaning "ramming" iron to pack sand around complex
shapes in a sand casting, especially for a large enough casting to
justify a stand up model.

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"R.H." wrote in message
m...

So it appears that your instincts are correct, and whatever
source
claimed it was a Reaming Iron was wrong. I doubt that there is
a more
qualified expert resource than MMM. Hopefully, Mr Lipfert will
find out
what it really is. Or at least, become a dedicated follower of
your
"What is it?" website.

Thanks for checking on that, I'll be interested to see if he can
find any
info on it. The seller of this tool also had another very
similar one, the
only difference being that the head of it was about 1/4" thick
instead of
1". Still too thick to be described as a chisel, yet it was
also marked
reaming iron.

Rob