Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
mm

Default Wiring 3 way switches for detatched garage lights

On 29 Nov 2005 11:27:50 -0800, wrote:

I would like to wire three 3-ways switches for various external lights
in my new detatched garage (switches in both house and garage). I just
laid the schedule 40 with 2-2-4AL (240vac power to garage with seperate
grounding rod) and pulled six 14g THHN black wires also. It was late
and I wasn't thinking about the fact that I need more wires for three
3-way switches.

You do? Why7 IIUC, you don't want 3 pairs of 3-ways, you just want
three switches to control some lights in the garage.

I presume you want one switch in the house and one in the garage.
Where do you want the third switch?

It doesn't really matter.

When you go above two 3-way swtiches, the rest of them have to be
4-way switches. Electrically, the 4-ways have to all be between the
three-ways that are at the end.

Between each pair of switches you need 2 hot wires, only one of which
will be hot at any given moment. Plus a neutral wire. Plua the
uninsulated ground that comes inside BX, for example.

I know there are several options for wiring 3way switches, some with
power to the light and others with power to the switch. Is one way
more preferable than the other? Also, when I pull additional 14g THHN,
should I use specific colors to meet code? Can I use one ground wire
between all 3 house switches?

Yes.

I need 4 wires per switch if I am
reading things right (hot, neutral, runner and ground).

I don'tt know what you mean "per switch". You need 4 wires AT each
switch, but in most ways of looking at things, they are the same 4
wires. Two are the neutral and ground -- two wires come in and two
wires go out, usually spliced witha wire nut.

In addition, for the first 3-way switch one wire goes in and two go
out. For the second 3-way, two wires go in and one wire goes out.
And for all the 4-ways in between, 2 wires go in and 2 wires go out.

This may sound like 8 wires, but 4 are going back to the previous
switch and 4 are going on to the next switch.. You only need four
wires, and some places only 3.

No relays, no X-10 needed imo.

Don't know why, but 3ways confuse me a bit and I want to make sure I am
doing it right.

Just looking for clarification...please don't post that I should hire
an licensed electrician.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.