Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What tool to use to drop a wire down inside a wall to the basement?

On 28 Nov 2005 12:30:48 -0800, "dean" wrote:

Rick - thanks for the reply. The problem is that I tried everything to
make sure I measured the basement distances correctly to install a TV
cable, and ended up drillin up through the living room floor instead of
between the wall surfaces. Admittedly it was close.

You see, the path downstairs to the basement is way away from this area
and makes it difficult to measure and predict where the wall is.

Dean

Carefully take off the baseboard on that wall. Cut a small hole in
the plaster behind the baseboard (which will be covered up when you
reinstall the baseboard). UNDER the baseboard (where it meets the
floor), drill a small hole with a 1/4" (or so) bit. Stick something
in that hole which you will see in the basement (coathanger, piece of
wire, whatever). Go in the basement and drill another hole about 2
inches toward the wall. Shove your wire up in that hole. Go upstairs
and pull the wire out your wall hole behind the baseboard. Drill your
hole in the upper wall where thermostat goes. Make it 3/4" or 1".
Take string, tie a heavy steel nut or other weight, and drop it down
the wall. Catch it on the bottom, tie it to the wire and pull it out
the top hole.

Install thermostat.

Spackle hole behind baseboard, or fill with "great stuff" foam.
Replace baseboard.

Job done (the easy way).

If you are installing this thermostat on an exterior wall, which I
assume if there is insulation, fill the wire hole behind the
thermostat with spray foam, or your thermostat will get cold air from
inside the wall and will not heat correctly. Personally, I dont think
thermostats should be placed on exterior walls, but it's up to you.
I'd select an interior wall, and find one with a short piece of
baseboard if you can.

Mark