Posted to alt.home.repair
louie

Default Furnace heat exchanger problems - previously (mistakenly) posted to alt.HVAC

I recently bought a house with an older gas furnace (probably 15 years
old, nameplates have been mostly painted over). Recently discovered
that the blower will no longer start up on its own, and have had the
capacitor tested - it tested ok. So... I happen to have a home
warranty left over from the purchase and I called to have the furnace
repaired (it is covered under the warranty). Unfortunately, I have no
say in the technician/company who services my furnace - it is chosen by

the warranty company for me. The guy comes out, my wife is there to
let him in, I showed up from work about 10 minutes later. When I got
there, he was in the process of trying a new capacitor (didn't work)
and then decided that the blower motor needs replacement. I took the
opportunity to mention that I had seen a lot of LARGE rust flakes piled

on top of the burners (almost to the point of completely covering
several of the burners). I asked did he check the heat exchanger for
holes? He replied that he hadn't seen any holes in it but that he
would check for CO coming from the upstairs registers once the new
blower motor was installed. He also mentioned that the burner chamber
needed to be cleaned out and that wasn't covered by the warranty,
nor was it included in his or his company's job duties. I later asked
my wife how he inspected the heat exchanger (ie. did he use a camera,
mirror, what?). She replied that he didn't do anything more than what
I had seen him do when I got there (nothing). We will be called once
the
motor is ordered and received to schedule the next appointment. This
is
not an emergency for us, since we're currently living elsewhere while
we
do some rennovating.

So, I'm thinking, though I don't have any inspection mirrors or
cameras, those large (when I say large, I'm thinking they look to be a
few inches across and about 1/8" or thicker) flakes of rust coupled
with the fact that someone has done a less-than-classy installation of
an A/C coil in the plenum above the furnace means I have problems.
Anyone have any ideas here? I don't want this thing to "pass" some
half-a$$ed test by bubba the technician only to fail later on after my
warranty has expired.

also - appologies to any ruffled feathers/offended HVAC folks who might
not
have appreciated my posting to "their" special group. I didn't realize
it
was a "He-Man-Homeowner-Haters" club for professionals only.