Posted to rec.woodworking
John Grossbohlin

Default How to undo a Titebond III joint.

"jtpr" wrote in message
oups.com...
Well, now I went and done it...

I put together a box for my tongue drum last night and glued everything
up tight except the top. My thinking was to tune the top and then glue
it on. Of course, as these things go, I found an expert and had a
conversation with him today and he said you glue the top on first and
leave the bottom off. Chisel wood off the keys (tongues), flip over,
listen, flip over, chisel, and so on. So, I need to get the bottom
off. the sides are bird's eye maple with a 3/8" x 3/4" rabbet cut in
the bottom edge. Fitted (and glued) to this is a piece of 3/4" poplar.

Any ideas on getting the piece of poplar out without ruining the bird's
eye?

You may have to give up on the idea of removing the bottom intact... make a
new one. You may be able to recut your rabbet and remove the bottom by using
a router with a fence. Run the fence along the outside of the box--probably
want to put a smooth layer of tape around the outside of the box so you
don't scratch it up. To retain support for the router throughout the job you
could leave a small tab of wood uncut along each side to hold the bottom in
place. When done routing remove the bottom by cutting the tabs off with a
saw and then clean up the rabbet with a chisel. The corners would also need
to be cleaned up with a chisel (or the corners of the new bottom rounded).

This all seems perfectly clear to me as I write it but may need
elaboration... Let me know!

John