Posted to rec.woodworking
Leuf

Default Fire/smooke detection in the shop

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 16:22:52 -0000, Brian Elfert
wrote:

What are the recommendations for smoke/heat detectors to detect fire in a
shop? Won't standard smoke detectors collect a lot of dust and
malfunction?

When me moved to this house I ended up with a smoke alarm at one end
of the basement shop. I really thought it was going to be a problem
with the dust. It's gone off cutting through knotty pine on the
tablesaw. It's gone off when I asked my lil underpowered 9" bandsaw
to cut through 1.5" of hard maple (3 times). It's never gone off from
sanding, though I make it a point to do that at the opposite end of
the shop.

-Leuf