Posted to uk.d-i-y
SR

Default Septic tank upgrade.

Peter Crosland wrote:
I had a gentleman from APCO to look at it this afternoon. He suggested
the MANTAIR septic tank upgrade, which is basically an insert to an
existing tank that works by blowing air through the contents to obtain
aerobic decomposition. It's claimed to meet the EA requirements, costs in
region of £2.7k installed and so appears to be a net solution if it works.
Still might need to address the drainage though.

Any thoughts onthis?

You really need to address the overall problem. Whatever system you choose
will need building regulations approval and part of that will be EA consent.
That will mean the design and approval of an approverd soakaway. Building
control will not pass one without the other and that will also require EA
consent.

Eh? The current land drains have been there for ages. The only issue
is the dodgy and obviously illegal extension onto a partially blocked
covered ditch by the previous owner. If this is removed, as I intend to
because I like to be legal (and it's clearly not taking much - or indeed
any - water anyway), then the system is restored to what it was. So
surely I don't need building regulations and EA consent to upgrade an
existing system that has drained onto my own land for decades?

SR