Posted to alt.home.repair
Michael Daly

Default Coax cable carries electrical current? What is wrong?

On 29-Nov-2005, "miamicuse" wrote:

I take cable A, and connect to splitter. Nothing, no voltage. Repeat for
cable B, nothing. Repeat for cable C, nothing. Now I go grab the last
cable, cable D, and I feel the voltage. I only feel it when I have outside
cable + splitter in one hand and cable D in another. I let go of cable D,
nothing. I let go of the splitter and only hold cable D, nothing either.

Does this mean it might not be the outside cable grounding since cable A, B,
C do not have this problem?

The only way that you'll feel something is if your body is grounded. Since
A, B and C don't have the problem, they might not be grounded - are they
connected to something that is plugged in for power?

Now I go to the other end of cable D which is connected to the VCR which
then feeds to the TV. I disconnected that end. Go back to the attic.
Touch both the splitter and cable D. Nothing.

If D is connected to the VCR and it's plugged in, then D is grounded and you
feel something.

Then I went back down and connect cable D directly to the TV bypassing the
VCR player, then back to the attic and try again, nothing.

Is the TV plugged in?

It sounds to me like your cable isn't grounded properly as it enters your
house. As w_tom suggested - do a visual inspection of the cable entry
point and check the ground is in place. Around here, the cable companies
are required to run their line from the telephone pole/underground feed/
etc to a single box outside the house. This box is grounded. The line
in the box is then split (optionally) and that (those) cable(s) are run
into the house. If you have such a box, that's the point to start with.

If nothing else, ground the splitter in the attic.

Mike