Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Another shop comfort: Sound

Music in the shop is pretty important to me - at the very least you
need a radio for psycedlic sundays on Q107.
Anyway, its not completely finished, but my in progress shop has

- buried cable from the house for ethernet, satalitte tv, and phone.
- In the shop ive got a computer networked to my main house computer to
access for 20gb mp3 collection.
- Computer outputs to 200 watt kenwood reciever i no longer use since i
upgraded in the house.
- wired speaker cable in wall to all corners before drywalling so no
wire laying around.
- 4 paradigm speakers celing mounted on each corner of the shop.
- contemplating hooking up 10' 100watt sub as well, thgough dont want
the neighbours complaining.

not even close to what i used inside, but for the shop its probably
quite a bit more than most people would do, and sounds nice. All this
can be done relatively cheap - ie lower guage wire, average speakers,
etc.

for the computer im currently using an old 17' monitor. however im
considering doing a small built in between two wall studs. get a
flatscreen lcd (they have really come down in price), mount it in
there, and put a sheet of clear plexiglass around to keep out dust.
whole project could probably be done in a day and for a couple 100 and
would look pretty slick .

As for the speakers, im not sure if im going to stick with the wall
mounted ones, instead i might pick up some in-ceiling types to get back
some wall space for storage.

As for boom boxes - i liked the dewalt, since its pretty rugged, and
charges/runs off their batteries to which is nice. the downside is no
cd player - which means no deal for me.

good luck!