Posted to rec.woodworking
Don Dando

Default Another shop comfort: Sound

The Kansas City market does not support "Easy Listening" stations. I have a
stereo receiver in my shop with 4 ceiling mounted 10 speakers. I subscribe
to XM Radio and my receiver transmits on any of several frequencies on the
FM Broadcast band and has enough power to cover my house and detached garage
that is about 50 ft from the house. I then have Channel 24 easy listening
music at any radio or stereo receiver in the house or shop and really enjoy
it.

Don Dando

"Swingman" wrote in message
"Robatoy" wrote in message

Better sound for my shop. Needs to be loud, good low-end, preferably
detachable speakers, so I can spread that image out a little.

Besides a radio for general background, I have two music setups for when I
am in that mood:

An single unit "iBoom" that holds and charges my iPod, and a pair of small
Klipsch self powered speakers, to which I can also plug the iPod, either
directly or through a dock.

The iBoom was a gift and is light on both volume and bottom end, and only
has an FM radio reception with two channel presets ... I would not

recommend
one.

Those two little plastic Klipsch suckers are loud, have an amazing bottom
end for their size, and sound good enough that we picked up two extra

pair -
one for the TV in bedroom, and one for the island in the kitchen, the

latter
to which the whole family danced this past week at Thanksgiving.

Interestingly, both retail for the same $99.00 price.

Anyone contemplating something for an iPod, particularly in shop setting,
should definitely check out the Klipsch before springing bigger bucks for
Bose et al at four times the price ... and for those golden eared wannabe
audiophile snobs, don't bother with your self-delusional guffaws... this

is
for shop/casual listening environments.

--
www.e-woodshop.net