Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill Schoenbeck

Default New Yankee Workshop Deluxe Router Station

"Chuck" wrote in news:1133298368.295924.69830
@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

And I really am interested in this plan. Does anyone have any
experience with it?

Chuck,
No experience with this version but I built Norm's original version
several years ago. I'm very happy with the result. I didn't build the top
but used the top & fence available from Rockler and mounted it to Norm's
cabinet with hinges in the back. My Idea was for ease of router access
but as it turns out with the large front opening it wasn't necessary to
hinge the top. My plans are complete as is the parts list. I made some
errors due to not reading the drawings correctly but that was my bad. In
my version the drawings are a little on the smallish side but the
mistakes were all mine and had to do with the drawers for the router bits
and tools and how they fit and slide. Built from 3/4" oak ply it is very
heavy which is good for stability but not if you need to move it around.
I added two casters to the bottom back edge and lift up in the front to
roll it around then set it back down. Plenty of drag even with the rear
of the cabinet resting on wheels to keep it in place while routing.
I mainly use it for making my own picture frame material now but it
also saw heavy use when I built a crib for our niece's baby a few years
ago from Rockler plans. The slats in that plan are routed to shape. I
also bought the video and viewed it a few times before starting. It is
helpful and I enjoy watching Norm work but if you don't want to spend the
extra $14 you could do without it. The new version looks nice and the
lower storage drawer has changed from one big one to three smaller ones.
Also the front access door is hinged instead of lift out. I think you
will be very pleased with your result if you build it. It's a good
design.

Bill