Posted to rec.woodworking
Saville

Default Another shop comfort: Sound

Robatoy wrote:

We have talked heating, lighting, storage, flooring for shops, and now I
would like some input for a durable boombox-type solution.
What are you guys using?

Better sound for my shop. Needs to be loud, good low-end, preferably
detachable speakers, so I can spread that image out a little. I have
lots of speaker parts lying about, so I could cobble a few speakers
together and go to the pawnshop and find me an old Technics receiver
with 100 watts per side.....BUT... I don't have the
time/will/inclination to go through that exercise. I guess I do want a
boom-box. I wrote off the iPod idea as on a previous occasion, I found
the earbud wires were getting snagged all the time.
Bosch makes one, Milwaukee makes one, DeWalt makes one and I have seen
others. None jump out at me. The Milwaukee sounded a bit better, but no
CD, CDR or MP3. Bosch scored points, big time, when I found a video of
them literally kicking the **** out that radio, throwing it down
concrete stairs, no less.... but anemic sound---no balls.
Those job-site radios have stuff in them I don't need, GFI plugs and
chargers, work lights and a 12-pocket tool pouch. *G*

So help me out here, folks.... please

Speaking strictly for myself, if I put a system in the shop where I had
concerned myself with "image spread" I'd be listening to music into which I
was too involved.

That has happened to me a few times when I had a cassette player in the shop
- got so jazzed by the music I was playing that I lost my concentration and
screwed up.

So now I have a shoddy old AM/FM and I keep it on classical or sometimes a
little folk. I want to unwind, in the shop. Get in the groove. And do some
decent woodworking.

Just my opinion for myself.

Gregg