Posted to uk.d-i-y
TheScullster

Default New Toilet/Old Cistern Idea

Hi Guys

One of my future projects is an upgrade of the downstairs loo.
Currently, this loo is ideal for those more stubborn deposits, as it is a
1970s full flush low level cistern.

Having already been bitten by these pathetic new 6 litre cistern/pan
offerings that don't rinse the entire bowl, my thoughts turned to the
following.
To ensure that we have one toilet that still works effectively/hygienically
I was considering:

Retain the existing cistern.
Pipe the overflow down the outside of the cistern and into the flush pipe
(overflow is currently to external drain and needs to be internal!).
Recondition cistern, ie replace all internals.
Box/wall in cistern and fit a modern back-to-wall pan.

This way the room can be re-worked to modern spec without loss of
functionality.

OK - The Questions

Other than the fact that this does not conform to current regs (but won't be
visibly flouting the rules) -
Can anyone see anything technically wrong here?
Will a modern pan work with an old cistern?
Do fittings exist to pipe overflow into flush pipe or would this have to be
a home bodge?

TIA

Phil