Posted to alt.home.repair
Gideon

Default Testing humidifier

Yeah, that sounds a lot easier and more efficient than buying a
$5 hygrometer. I'll get on that soon, but right now I'm out in the
garage manufacturing some new brake rotors out of scrap iron.
I figure I'll save 5 or 6 dollars per axle and only waste a couple
of hundred hours of my time.

================

wrote in message
. com...
You don't need a hygrometer, just a thermometer and a cotton ball.
Cover the thermometer's bulb with the cotton and dip it in water.
Shake the thermometer to help the water evaporate, and after a minute
of this the temperature should stabilize. This is the wet bulb
temperature. Compare it to the normal room temperature, which is the
dry bulb temperature, and look up the readings in a psychometric chart
to find the relative humidity. These charts are available from several
Internet sites or in about any book about air conditioning, including
factory auto repair manuals.

At 68F dry bulb, the following wet bulb temperaturs translate into
these humidity amounts:

Wet Bulb Relative Humidity

46F 10%
48F 20%