Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.components,comp.sys.laptops,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Conor

Default What is this laptop motherboard component?

In article , Dave Platt says...
In article . com,
gk wrote:

This is my first time posting, so I apologize ahead of time for any
breach in netiquette.

Can anyone please help me find out what this component is? It shorted
out (water spill) on a Dell Inspiron 5100 laptop motherboard. It is an
8-pin package and the markings a

2042A
36T
DCFR

Texas Instruments logo. A wildcard search (*2042a*) at
www.datasheetarchive.com turns up the TI TPS2042A, described as
"0.7A, 2.7-5.5V Dual (1In/2Out) Hi-Side MOSFET,

Highly likely something else has been killed too then if it's a MOSFET
and there's that much damage.

--
Conor

"You're not married, you haven't got a girlfriend and you've never seen
Star Trek? Good Lord!" - Patrick Stewart, Extras.