Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.engr.joining.welding
Ed Huntress

Default Uses for Old UPSes

"Ed ke6bnl" wrote in message
oups.com...

Ed Huntress wrote:
"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am the "lucky" owner of a number of older UPSes.

So what can a person build out of these?

The batteries are for the most part dead but the remainder of the
components seem to be in good condition.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

TMT

If you can get your hands on a copy of the 2005 ARRL Handbook, there are
several suggestions in there (radio-related, but you can improvise from
them), and some information about UPS's.

One is a charger for 12V storage batteries in general, including car
batteries. Another is an emergency power supply (you can just run two

wires
to your car battery, or a bank of deep-discharge batteries wired in

parallel
if you're so inclined). Depending on the model you have, you can get 160

to over 300 W of 120 VAC and/or 12VDC from them.

Mine (an APC Back-UPS 600) is now wired to an old car battery. It will

run
my computer for a lot longer than the old gel-cell that came with it.

Since
we're on the end of a power transmission line, it gets a fair amount of

use.

--
Ed Huntress

Ed from Ed I just picked up a apc bk500. I charged it most of the night
and the voltage only shows 98 volt on battery. The instructions on the
internet show some sort of cd disc for windows which I do not have with
a good battery can I just use it as it is for a usp for the computer.
no alarm led lights on and it appears to be working fine thanks Ed

I'm not aware of the inner workings of these things, Ed, nor have I put an
AC voltmeter on the output, running off the car battery, to see what actual
voltage I'm getting. The computer runs fine off of it but now you have my
curiosity going.

--
Ed Huntress