Posted to uk.d-i-y
John

Default unvented system.

"Set Square" wrote in message
John wrote:

I am by no means an expert on these things. But, AIUI, an unvented
hot cylinder has to have some trapped air above the water, to allow
for expansion when the water is heated - otherwise it would burst.

Have you blocked up your safety pressure relief valve then?

I assume that's not a serious question! I was giving a simplified
explanation of how these things work to someone who had never come across
one. I suppose I could have said "otherwise the pressure would build up to
dangerous level". Obviously, the pressure release valve would open before
the cylinder burst in the case of loss of air bubble - but that only
happens
in exceptional circumstances, and I was describing the *normal* operation.

It was "serious" insofar as the pressure would not rise until the cylinder
burst because the (3 bar) valve would protect it. You and I know it would,
but the uninitiated might have considered your response as a true statement
of fact and run screaming down the road whenever they saw an unvented
cylinderg

Unvented cylinders are multilevel protected - Back up limit thermostats,
Over pressure safety pressure relief valves, Over temperature relief valves
etc. The biggest problem is keeping them running not stopping them