Posted to alt.home.repair
ameijers

Default This Old House now more like Martha Stewart...

"wkearney99" wrote in message
t...
I'm glad to see I'm not alone in resenting how This Old House has
changed. I think Answer This Old House was designed to make up the
difference. Anyway, TOH was special, and I miss it

Heh, not the ones with Bob Vila. It was pathetic how he'd stand there
running his mouth and then have Norm do all the work. Every so often

you'd
see Norm roll his eyes at Bob's antics. When I asked two of the ToH guys
about this at show here in DC they busted out laughing. Apparently Steve
got similar 'respect'. That and, yeesh, Vila's a hairy little short guy!
Saw him at a Boston airport and it was like somthing outta Lord of the
Rings.

Agreed, Vila is a twit. Is he still doing anything but commercials? I
haven't seen his almost-an-infomercial 'Home Again' in several years. Steve
was okay, but not great, and actually was a accomplished boat geek. He is
hosting some history thing on one of the cable channels now. The new guy is
annoying, but doesn't try to pretend he is anything but an amatuer. I liked
the 'behind the scenes' show they did where they showed how he was hired.
Methinks he supposed to be a stand-in for the viewers, to keep them feeling
involved.

I liked Hometime and its emphasis on doityourself in middle income
homes. But that point of view has wandered all over the place, to shows
on habitat, in offices, etc. The show is boring. I also especially miss
Johnson's blonde coworker. Where is she now?

One gets the impression the host "trades in" the women for new models

every
few years. Sorta pathetic now that it's happened so many times.

I can't remember the names offhand, but one of the previous ones (Joanne
Liebler?) had her own show for awhile after that. I also miss the the one
that just left- she was seriously cute, especially before the old lady
hairdo. I did notice that toward the end, they were almost never on camera t
ogether- makes one wonder if there was a feud. In the early years, the hosts
pretended to be married, and that got a little tiring at times. But,
Johnson is the show, so he gets what he wants.

Watch one of these shows, and you almost feel like you actually did
something. (Sorta like watching football makes you think you got some
exercise? :^) )

aem sends...