Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.components,comp.sys.laptops,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Default What is this laptop motherboard component?

Followups set to sci.electronics.repair.

In sci.electronics.components gk wrote:
So the part number I should be looking for is "TPS2042A"?

I _think_ that is right. If so, TI's page for it at
http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folder.../tps2042a.html
says it has been replaced by the TPS2042B. That page says it is
basically a power switch that can handle up to 0.5 A, which is a
relatively large current for inside a laptop. The fried pin looks like
the the input voltage to the chip, and the one immediately to its left
is ground. That looks like a good set-up for a short from the spilled
water.

Digi-Key sells the TPS2042BDR for about $2 each.
http://www.digikey.com/scripts/dksea...=70309&Site=US
For orders below about $25 I think there is an additional handling
charge.

And is it fairly straight forward to solder?

I haven't had much experience soldering surface-mount components. You
need a soldering iron with a fine pointed tip, not big and stubby, and
having some small-diameter solder also helps. If you've got an old junk
network card or hard drive or something kicking around, you might
practice unsoldering and resoldering components on that before attacking
the laptop. http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_ts...tml#TSHOOT_029
has good information on soldering and desoldering.

Matt Roberds